Saturday, July 9, 2011

Spin Class and a Bag of Stale Doritos

   My friend got me to go to a spin class at the YMCA a couple of times.  I was intrigued that many of the women in the class would drape a towel over a particular bike to save it while they finished their pre-class preparations in the locker room downstairs--intrigued enough to ask one of them about it.  She told me that was "her" bike, and that she always used it.  In fact, she was so attached to it that she might skip the class if someone else got it first.  She also told me that she was similarly attached to that particular class with that particular instructor.  I guess she liked spin class, but could skip it if conditions were not ideal.  I feel that way about exercise to some extent. It's necessary, but I'm willing to put it off.

   But I do not feel the same way about eating.  While I prefer steak, I will eat a stale bag of Doritos if I'm hungry enough.  This is also the way I think most married men feel about sex.  While we would prefer to make love to our wives in a beach bungalow with the sea breeze blowing the candlelight around, if we have to, we are more than willing to do it at home with the kids banging on the bedroom door and our mother-in-law calling on the phone.  When it comes to sex, the fact that a man might have to settle for a bag of stale Doritos is no more an obstruction than a single ant is an obstruction to a picnic.  

   Wives, on the other hand, seem to see marital sex differently.  It's more like spin class to them.  They like it, and they are happy about it afterward, but sometimes it is just too hard to get there. They are willing to put it off until tomorrow if they can't get to the YMCA in time to get their usual bike. For wives, the screaming kids and calling mothers-in-law ARE practical obstructions, like thunderstorms at a picnic. They can wait for a sunny day.

   Given the thin tangent existing between hungry husbands and spinning wives, it's a wonder we have kids at all.  But we do, and I contend the reason is love.  It would be a funny joke God played on men and women by designing their libidos so differently if He had not also thrown in love.  With love, men are able to wait for dinner even though they are hungry, and women still go to spin class even though they might not get their favorite bike.  I know it seems trite, but if it isn't love, what else could it be that gets us both to the picnic?


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fellowship