Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Moral Hazard of Fat Pants

     I am skinny now. I have been skinny before. In between I get fat. When I am fat I need my Fat Pants. 

     When I go from skinny to fat it is never a conscious decision. I mean, I do not say to myself, "darn, I'm sick of being skinny. I think I'll go ahead and grow my big fat gut again." And, I definitely do not go dig my Fat Pants out of the back of my closet before I get fat again. No, I wait until I get fat, and then I get them out.

     Herein lies the moral hazard of the Fat Pants. I do not have to get them out before I get fat. It is enough that I know that they are there, waiting patiently for me to lose my grip on skinniness. My Fat Pants never judge me. They are more than happy to accept the insertion of my sausage legs. It is the knowledge of that acceptance that slowly erodes my determination not to get fat. That is the moral hazard. Without my Fat Pants there would be consequences to my fat.

     I also tend to get spiritually fat. Like my gut, my soul fills slowly with emotional fat and lops over my spiritual belt. It is not a conscious decision. I do not say to myself, "gee, I guess I'll just turn my back on God and live like a pagan, no matter who gets hurt." Herein lies the moral hazard of not being held accountable.  Without Brothers willing to point out my spiritual beer gut, it is too easy for me to learn to live with it.  It is like having a pair of Spiritual Fat Pants waiting in the back of my emotional closet. 

     So Brethren.  Run with me to keep me skinny.  And, if you are willing, when you see me slowly slyly slipping into my Spiritual Fat Pants, love me enough to suggest a few Spiritual Push-ups before it is too late.  And we do not know when it is too late.  Do we.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fellowship