Monday, December 20, 2010

Today

I am going to focus on today Lord.  I am going to give my thoughts, my efforts and my concern to the day I am in.  You will feed me today.  You will clothe me today.  You will love me today. You will give me the skill to perform your will today. You will give me the strength to resist temptation today.  The only other day with which I must concern myself is the day upon which I am delivered into your arms.  That glorious day.  Until that day, I have only today.  And in this day, today, I must only obey you.  If I am in you today, of what else do I have need?

I want to learn this as Paul did:  contentment in all circumstances. (Philippians 4:11).  I can only learn it from you Lord.  You alone can teach it to me.  To find it, I must seek you today.  So, I ask you now, in humility and hope, that you will guide me to it.  

My discontentment flows from my perception that I must obtain my sustenance and significance from the World, when both in fact can only be found in you.  I cannot self-provide. Nor will the World provide. But you do provide.  You have promised me so.  Like a sparrow in the field, you will give me the food and clothing I need.  As you have accounted for every hair on my head, you have made a place for me.  You love me and care about my needs and heart.  Even now, as I write these words, I am not alone.  You are with me, in me, crowding me out. When I am finally gone, then you alone remain. What more than you will I need today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fellowship